Has Your Application For Disability Benefits Been Denied?

by | Apr 5, 2017 | Lawyers

Many thousands of claims for Social Security disability benefits are made every year, however, only a small percentage of these applications are granted approval upon receipt of the initial application. Only about 25 percent of all claims are approved, the remaining 75 percent are rejected. Those are rejected are returned to the applicant with information on how to pursue an appeal. As the SSA only gives a 60 day window to act, there is very little time to act.

How long does the appeals process take?

If your application for Social Security disability benefits in Des Plaines is among the seventy five percent that are rejected, the majority of claimants hire an attorney and appeal. The first level of appeal is a case review made by the DDS, Disability Determinations Services. Under ideal circumstances the results should be known with a few weeks but with the huge case load the review is more likely to take several months.

If this appeal fails, and most of them do, the process moves to the next level which is a hearing held with an Administrative Law Judge. It is at this stage that things can grind to a slow halt; it is not unusual at all for it to take more than a year to reach this stage.

Get representation:

The entire appeal process is quite complex and it is well advised that applicants hire an experienced lawyer that focuses his or her practice on Social Security disability matters. It is difficult for a layperson to understand why their Social Security disability benefits in Des Plaines were not approved and even more difficult to know what to do when benefits are denied.

Even after you start receiving befits there can still be problems; don’t be surprised if all of a sudden the checks stop coming. The SSA can terminate benefits if they have reason to believe your condition has improved to the point where you can return to work.

If your application for Social Security disability benefits in Des Plains was rejected or your benefits were terminated while you continue to be disabled you will need legal assistance. You are invited to contact http://www.rabinsslaw.com/

Latest Articles